Thursday, May 14, 2009

5-18-09 Boardgames at the Library

One of my favorite memories as a child was sitting down with my family to play Trivial Pursuit. Sure, my father always beat me and my mother seemed to know every literature answer in the whole game, but it was still a really fun way to bond with my parents, more so when I got an answer right (My father can still beat me, by the way, 30 years later - darnit).

I know you can buy Trivial Pursuit at Toys-R-Us, but with the recent economic situation, wouldn’t it be nice if you could check it out at the library? Especially if you think you might not play it enough to warrant purchasing it.

I would love to have a small selection of board games that patrons could come in and check out to take home for a game night. It would also be nice to have some games on hand for when it gets colder and we hold game nights here at the library, perhaps even a championship if we’ve got more than one copy for people to play at a time.

Take a look in your closet – you know, the one you put stuff in when you want to forget about it. Are there any games in there? Do they have all their pieces? If so, I would like to encourage you to donate them to Meinders Library so we can put them out on our shelves to be checked out. Good games should never just collect dust in a closet, they were meant to be played!

Also, when you have a chance, come in and check out our new books, both fiction and non-fiction. We’ve got some really great titles in right now and I’d like to encourage everyone to try reading something they normally wouldn’t pick up. I tried that recently and it turned out to be a great experience! For those of you who don’t know, I am an avid fantasy reader (weirdo!) and I rarely, if ever, will choose anything else, much less fiction geared specifically towards women. If it doesn’t have swords and dragons, I usually won’t read it. Maybe I’m just growing up (heaven forfend), but I read Confessions of a Shopaholic and I really liked it! In fact, I plan on reading the rest of the series. If it worked for me, it will work for you! So stop by and try something a little different.

Meinders Community Library is open Monday – Thursday from 10 AM to 8 PM, and Friday and Saturday from 10 AM to 5 PM. If you would like to place a book on hold or have any questions, please give us a call at 825-6714.

No comments:

Post a Comment